Preventing Gum Recession
Some of the best ways to prevent gum recession include:
- Using the Right Brushing Technique
- Avoiding Clenching and Grinding the Teeth
- Receiving Treatment for Misalignment of the Teeth
- Breaking Bad Habits that Irritate the Gums
- Wearing a Nightguard
You Can Help Prevent Recession
Receding Gums Prevention in Scottsdale, AZ
Even though gingival recession can occur gradually over time, some patients may notice early warning signs of possible receding gums. How can you prevent further damage or safeguard against experiencing any gum recession in the first place? There are some habits you can form in your oral hygiene routine to fight against gingival recession. Dr. Bruce Lachot and Dr. Kent Loo are general dentists in Scottsdale, AZ that can teach you how to prevent gingival recession.
How to Prevent Receding Gums
With a comprehensive oral examination, Dr. Lachot and Dr. Loo can diagnose any gingival recession and educate you on how to prevent further damage. Whether it is your oral hygiene technique or using a protective appliance, treatment for your gum recession is available and should be sought immediately.
- Avoid grinding and clenching of teeth: Some patients are aware of their grinding habit during the day but most people clench and grind their teeth at night, putting incredibly large amounts of pressure on their teeth and jaw. This abnormal movement causes flexing of your teeth against your gums and wears your gum tissue down over time.
- Use proper brushing and flossing techniques: Our hygienist can show you how to effectively brush your teeth and gums without scrubbing too hard. Your oral hygiene routine can play a huge part in gum recession prevention.
- Get rid of lifestyle habits: Quit smoking or using other tobacco based products such as chewing tobacco. Break habits of chewing on foreign objects and have any lip or tongue jewelry removed.
- Seek treatment for misaligned or crowded teeth: Crowded and crooked teeth can damage your gums.
- Wear a nightguard: If you clench and grind your teeth at night, a custom appliance can be made to protect your teeth and gums while you sleep.
To reduce your risk of gum recession, improve your oral hygiene, avoid tobacco, and have an oral evaluation for the other known causes of this condition. If you would like to learn more about receding gums prevention in Scottsdale, AZ, call Dr. Lachot and Dr. Loo’s office to schedule your consultation today!